Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Our Nation's Capital


We keep asking Bean, when he licks his crotch or does other unsightly acts, if this is the behavior he will display in Our Nation's Capital this weekend. We are taking Bean and going with friends, Paul and Jen, to D.C. for a nice little mini vacation. Bean got a haircut and we are ready to go. We will definitely post pictures upon our return, probably something like Bean pissing on the bushes in front of the White House. If only that sentence could read "...pissing on the Bushes in front of the White House."


By the way, I am getting kind of wedding burned out. Too many emails regarding vest color or the ongoing debate about ties vs/ kerchiefs or whatever. I hope to return with new found enthusiasm. Mostly it's because the store I manage moved the weekend after we got engaged and things have been really hectic since. Jeff and I have barely been able to see each other, let alone figure out invitations and registries. Also, Becca asked me if I wanted a bridal shower and a Batchelorette party and I said both but then felt weird and greedy.
Ugh.
What else? I'm giving Dennis Lehane another chance after watching the excellent Gone, Baby, Gone with the always tasty Casey Afleck. I am still not convinced he can write worth a damn. But the book is different enough from the movie to keep me interested and he writes half-way decent dialog. I finished Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets which is a book written by David Simon, one of the guys who created and wrote The Wire. It was the best true crime book I've ever read and really, it's more like crime literature than crime fiction. There are lots of stories out of that book that later went on to inform the characters and the dialog of The Wire. One of my favorites is about a guy named Snot Boogie and how one night he got shot and killed for running off with a big pot from the corner craps games. One of the guys who had money in that pot talked to the primary investigative detective and told him that yeah, Snot Boogie always did that, came around, played a few rolls and waited for the pot to get big then ran off with the loot. It was just a matter of time before someone took out Snot Boogie. The detective asked this cat why they let Snot Boogie play, if he always ran off with the pot. The guy looked at the detective incredulously, saying, "We had to let him play, this is America."
Speaking of The Wire I hooked another person on it, and as my newest victim to the addiction that is the greatest television show ever written I welcome Daniel.
I haven't seen Jenny in two weeks or more and that makes me very sad. She should call me.

3 comments:

idlewildeone said...

Subtle, manda, Subtle. :)

How will I see you Sunday if you're going to DC?

Anyway, in defense of both a shower and a bachelorette, here you have an opportunity for a party w/mixed company, and then not. See? Entirely different thing. Not greedy. Live it up, this is your only chance. :)

Sara J. Allen said...

I know what you mean about the shower/guilt/greed thing. BUT. Throughout the course of your life, you will go to MANY showers and weddings and other events where you will shell out the requisite dough for other people. You will spend way more on these other events than you will get in gifts at your shower, so really it's not greedy in the least. Plus I've always liked the original idea of showers, which is when other women in the community used to come together to help out people just starting out. Isn't that a nice thought. Bless.

And a bachelorette is just plain fun. And you should never turn down an opportunity for that kind of fun.

And ps, Jenny, you need to use google blogs, b/c your stupid blog wouldn't let me post a comment. I tried 100,000 times and it gave me an error each time. So I am reduced to communicating with you through Amanda's blog.

That Obscure Object said...

word on the google blog thing Jenny. And subtlety is not my forte btw.