Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Virgin Mary Pinball Machine

Jeff wasn't the only one having bad/ weird dreams last night. I also had some strange and unrelated imagery floating around in mine, like a Virgin Mary Pinball Machine (awesome) and the Space Shuttle flying out of Boston Harbor.
But what I really wanted to write about is how ill I am with local news. We watched portions of all three local news broadcasts last night and I'm here to tell you it has not gotten much better since the days that NBC-17 actually stood up at bistro tables to deliver the news. Seriously. (My mom and I would watch and the whole time scream "Sit down! Just sit down! You're making me nervous!") Worse than standing up to deliver the news is sitting on one side to report it. ABC 11 had several stories that were CLEARLY conservatively biased including a report that Hybrid cars are more expensive to fix than regular cars and a really unnecessary and absurd declaration that John Edwards' speech fees are grossly inappropriate when he is the candidate that runs on an anti-poverty platform. That story was propagated by Fox News and so I guess ABC 11 felt like they had to "report" it too, huh? But you know the fact that deforestation is condoned under the Bush administration by way of an initiative called The Healthy Forests Restoration Act is NBD, right? I swear, there is a special place in hell for local news.

2 comments:

idlewildeone said...

When I watch the news I've noticed a budding hatred of humankind and its (our) gullibility and that's just not the person I want to be, so I try not to watch. It's like a trainwreck, though, you kind of have to look for a second just to see how bad it really is and then turn away and spend the rest of your life trying to forget what you saw. This week it's been a lot of child molestation and the budding hatred has started to bloom. Something images you can't put back.

David said...

No blog posts in three weeks? Yikes!